Enhancing your home's security can be a significant step toward peace of mind, and the Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell seems up to the task. Offering HD video, a 180° view, HDR for clear images in any light, and Wi-Fi connectivity, it ensures comprehensive doorstep monitoring. The doorbell records before motion is detected and features two-way audio, allowing seamless visitor communication.
This review explores the Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell - a top security pick with 180° view, HDR, two-way audio, smart alerts, and more for enhanced home security.
Overview Of The Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell
The Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell enhances home security with a 180-degree view, HD HDR video, and night vision, ensuring clear visibility in various lighting and weather conditions. It requires an existing wired setup and offers Wi-Fi connectivity for easy installation. Key features include two-way audio, pre-recorded messages, and compatibility with smart home systems like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. The package includes a trial of Arlo Secure for advanced notifications and security, along with a manual or automatic siren for added deterrence.
Interested in making your entrance more secure? Check out the Arlo Video Doorbell and explore the benefits.
180-Degree Viewing Angle
One of the standout features of Arlo's Wired Video Doorbell is its expansive viewing angle. This allows a wide panoramic view of your doorstep, ensuring you can see visitors fully from head to toe, or spot a package left on the ground. It provides a broad perspective, leaving no blind spots at your entrance.
High Definition With HDR
The HD resolution combined with High Dynamic Range (HDR) means clearer, sharper images. This tech ensures that the footage remains distinct even in varying lighting conditions. Whether it's the glare of the sun or the shadows of dusk, the video quality stays uncompromised for reliable visibility.
Quick Two-Way Audio Communication
Quick communication is crucial, and this doorbell facilitates a swift two-way audio feature. It enables homeowners to hear and converse with visitors promptly. Moreover, pre-recorded messages can be used to respond when in a hurry, enhancing convenience in everyday scenarios.
Smarter Alerts With Arlo Secure Plan
Knowledge is power, and the Arlo Secure Plan boosts the intelligence of the system. It sends notifications for specific triggers such as people, vehicles, packages, or animals. This smarter alert system aids in prompt and appropriate actions, accessible directly from one's phone.
Integrated Siren For Added Security
Security is more than just monitoring—it's about active deterrence. The doorbell comes with an integrated siren, which can be set to activate manually or automatically during events. This feature is imperative for those seeking to create a robust home security environment.
The product's features deliver a combination of visibility, clarity, communication, smart alerting, and security, catering to the needs of homeowners looking for a comprehensive doorbell security solution.
Pros And Cons
- The Arlo Wired Doorbell provides a 180-degree view, ensuring users see a visitor from head to toe or a package on the ground, which is particularly useful for comprehensive home security.
- High-definition (HD) with High Dynamic Range (HDR) footage means that the video captured is of excellent quality in various lighting conditions.
- Two-way audio capabilities allow for clear communication with visitors. Quick reply messages are available for faster, pre-recorded responses.
- Arlo Foresight is a feature that captures video before motion-triggered recording starts, ensuring users don't miss any activity.
- Night vision technology allows owners to see who is at the door even in low-light situations, adding to safety.
- The doorbell is weather-resistant, able to withstand diverse climate conditions, thus reliable for outdoor use.
- Smart home integration is broad, with compatibility with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit, and Samsung SmartThings for a cohesive smart home experience.
- Arlo Secure plan offers notifications for people, vehicles, packages, and animals, enabling users to react quickly from their phone's lock screen.
- Installation can be challenging for some, with reports of it being complicated and taking a significant amount of time.
- There have been issues reported with delayed live streaming, which could be problematic for those needing real-time video.
- The doorbell requires existing electrical wiring, which might only be suitable for some, especially those in homes without a pre-existing doorbell system.
- Dependence on the Arlo Secure plan may imply additional ongoing costs for users to benefit from the advanced notification system fully.
The Arlo Wired Doorbell emerges as a robust option for homeowners seeking a security solution. However, installation intricacies and potential delays in live streaming represent notable drawbacks.
Installation And Setup
- Existing doorbell system with electrical wiring (16V AC to 24V AC)
- 10VA transformer
- Suitable for DIY enthusiasts
- Professional installation is recommended for those without electrical experience
- Steps for installation:
- Turn off the power at the breaker to ensure safety.
- Remove the existing doorbell, if there is one.
- Mount the doorbell using the bracket and provided screws.
- Connect the doorbell wires to the screws on the mounting bracket.
- Attach the doorbell to the bracket and restore power to test the unit.
- 180-degree viewing angle for comprehensive doorstep coverage
- Compatible with various smart home devices for easy integration
- Requires pre-existing wired setup
- Advanced features like Arlo Foresight need an Arlo Secure plan subscription
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell compare to wireless models in terms of reliability and performance?
The Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell generally offers consistent reliability and performance compared to wireless models. It's directly connected to the home's electrical system, reducing susceptibility to connection drops and battery life concerns that can affect wireless doorbells. Users can expect a continuous power supply and fewer interruptions in service, which can be pivotal for a security device.
Is a subscription required to access all features of the Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell?
Access to the full suite of features, including advanced object detection, cloud storage of video clips, and intelligent alerts, does require a subscription to the Arlo Secure plan after the trial period included with the doorbell purchase.
How does the video and audio quality of the Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell stack up against competitors like Ring?
The Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell offers HD with HDR video, which enhances detail in varying lighting conditions. This, coupled with the 180-degree viewing angle and night vision, allows for comprehensive video coverage. Competitors like Ring have similar features, but Arlo's HD with HDR sets it apart by capturing finer details in both bright and low-light scenarios.
What are some of the high-rated doorbell cameras of 2023 and how does Arlo compare?
While there are several high-rated doorbell cameras in 2023, common names include Ring, Google Nest, and Eufy. The Arlo Essential competes favorably with its detailed HD video, wide field of view, and enhanced features like pre-recording. However, each brand can have nuances in functionality and performance. Arlo's weather-resistant design and compatibility with multiple smart home ecosystems make it a strong contender among top-rated doorbells.
Will I need a separate hub to operate the Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell, or is it standalone?
The Arlo Essential Wired Doorbell connects directly to Wi-Fi and doesn't require a separate hub for basic operation. However, for full compatibility with Apple HomeKit, a connection to a compatible Arlo SmartHub or Base Station is needed, which is sold separately.
Enhancing Home Security With Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell
The Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell is well-received for enhancing home security with its high-quality imaging, effective motion detection, and versatile angle mount. Its night vision and 180° view further boost security. While some users find installation challenging and note occasional live-streaming delays, the doorbell is praised for its performance and compatibility with various home systems. Overall, it's a solid choice for those seeking to advance their home security technology.
Discover more security tech solutions with our guide on 6 smart locks that work with Ring. Visit Trustable Tech and explore our resources to learn more.