August Smart Lock is a smart device that can be installed inside doors to provide keyless entry. It is compatible with most standard deadbolts and can be controlled remotely via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. It can also be integrated with other home automation systems, such as Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
Installing it can be completed within a few minutes using a Phillips screwdriver. Read the article below to learn the full August Smart Lock Installation Guide.
Step-By-Step August Smart Lock Installation
The first step involves mounting the lock on your door.
- Using the supplied adhesive strip, hold the keyed side of your existing lock in place to prepare your deadbolt.
- Remove your existing thumb-latch by unscrewing your existing deadbolt thumb turn. Then, remove any additional back plate and position the thumb turn to access both screws.
- Prepare the mounting plate using the existing adjustable screw holes, repositioning them as needed.
- Attach the mounting plate by tightening the screens until it's securely settled. Do not overtighten the screws.
- Place the correct adapter on the mounting plate.
- Open the wing latches and prepare the actual mounting.
- Slide the Wi-Fi smart lock over the adapter to attach it to the mounting plate. The outer ring must be oriented correctly, and the lock's back must be flush with the door.
- Secure the lock by clamping down the wing latches.
- Check that it works by locking and unlocking the door using the outer ring.
- Remove the faceplate by pressing the August logo.
- Secure the batteries in their proper compartment.
- Return the faceplate to cover everything.
August App Setup
Now that the lock has been secured to the door, it's time to set up the app. To connect your lock to WiFi, just follow the in-app instructions.
- Get your phone and download the August App from the App Store or the Google Play Store.
- Open the app and create an account.
- Select "Set up my first August device" and "Set up a New Device."
- Choose "Set up a Smart Lock"
- Go to the lock on the door and remove the faceplate.
- Scan the QR code on the front cover.
- Replace the faceplate on the lock.
- To complete the setup, follow the app instructions.
- Name your device and assign it to your house.
- Calibrate the lock by following the instructions.
You can also connect your door lock to a HomeKit hub to control it and your other smart devices.
Optionally, you can also install DoorSense. Every August Lock comes with DoorSense, which you can mount on your door, so it senses if your door is open or closed.
Mounting DoorSense is simple. You can either use a surface mount or a flush mount. All you need is tape and a screwdriver. Once mounted, calibration is done using the August app.
Enjoy a Secure Home with August Smart Lock
Smart locks are great security devices that enable us to protect our houses from strangers. Installing them is a breeze, as shown above.
If you’re looking for another way to secure your home, check out how to set up Arlo cameras in this post.