IoT is an umbrella word for the billions of Internet-connected physical items or “things” that gather and exchange data with other devices and systems through the Internet.
While IoT has existed since the 1990s, recent advancements in a variety of technologies have made it more applicable, including:
- Access to cost-effective and dependable sensors
- Increase in cloud computing platform availability
- Technological advances in machine learning and AI.
IoT devices can range from simple kitchen appliances to complex industrial equipment. Each component of the Internet of Things has a Unique Identifier (UID) and may communicate data autonomously.
Types of IoT
Networking, communication, and connection protocols are highly dependent on the installed IoT application. As there are a variety of IoT devices, there are also a variety of IoT application kinds based on their utilization. Here are a few of the most prevalent:
- Consumer Internet of Things – Primarily for everyday usage. Examples include household appliances, voice help, and lighting.
- Primarily utilized in the healthcare and transportation industries. Example: intelligent pacemakers and monitoring systems
- Military Things (IoMT) – Primarily utilized for the military use of IoT technology. For example, surveillance robots and biometrics are worn by humans for battle.
- Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) – Primarily utilized with industrial applications, such as in the energy and manufacturing industries. Digital control systems, intelligent agriculture, and industrial big data are examples.
- Infrastructure IoT – Primarily utilized in smart cities for connection. Infrastructure sensors and management systems are examples.
Top 5 Most Popular IoT Devices in 2022
1. Google Home Voice Controller
The Google Home voice controller is now one of the most popular IoT devices available. It offers voice-enabled services for controlling alarms, lights, thermostats, volume, and more.
2. Amazon Echo Plus Voice Controller
The Amazon Echo Plus voice controller is an additional well-known and dependable IoT gadget on the market. It offers several voice-enabled features, like answering phone calls, setting timers and alarms, and checking the weather.
3. August Doorbell Cam
August Doorbell Cam is an Internet of Things (IoT) gadget that allows you to answer your door from a distance. It continuously detects motion changes and suspicious activities at the front entrance.
4. August Smart Lock
August Smart Lock is a recognized and trustworthy IoT security solution that enables customers to operate their doors remotely. It deters criminals and adds an additional layer of security to your house.
Foobot is an IoT gadget that can assess indoor pollution precisely. It contributes to the improvement of indoor air quality in homes, cafés, offices, and other indoor public areas.
IoT is in its infancy, and projections for the future growth of IoT devices are on the high end of the spectrum. In the next years, we will be connected in ways that are currently unimaginable. The convergence of AI and IoT will facilitate novel thinking and applications across a variety of sectors.